ADMIRALTY / MARITIME LAW
Joseph S. Piacun
A native of New Orleans, Louisiana, Mr. Piacun practices in the firm's General Litigation section.
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Automobile and 18 Wheelers Accidents
- ERISA/Disability/Life Insurance
- Medical Malpractice
- Attorney/Legal Malpractice
- Maritime/Jones Act
- Premises Liability/Slip and Falls
- Commercial and Residential Construction
- Business and Commercial Disputes
- Louisiana, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, pro hac vice
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana, pro hac vice
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana, pro hac vice
- Loyola University New Orleans School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
- Jesuit High School, New Orleans, Louisiana, Cum Laude
- Comment, “The Abolition of Strict Liability in Louisiana: A Return to a Fairer Standard or an Impossible Burden for Plaintiffs?,” ___ Loyola Law Review ___ (1997).
- Conducting Discovery and Doctor Depositions, National Business Institute, Kenner, Louisiana, 2018.
- Admission/Exclusion of Unique Evidence, National Business Institute, New Orleans, Louisiana 2017.
- Winning the Low Impact Case: Attacking the Defense Injury Causation Expert, Louisiana Association of Justice, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 2008.
- Defeating ERISA Subrogation & Reimbursement Claims, Academy of New Orleans Trial Lawyers, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2003 & 2004.
- Defeating ERISA Subrogation & Reimbursement Claims, Louisiana Bar Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2004.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- President (Inner Barrister), New Orleans Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2006-2008; member, 2003-present.
- Board Member, Louisiana Association of Justice, board of directors, 2018-present; member, 2004-present.
- Member, American Association for Justice, 2004-present.
- President, Croatian Benevolent Society, 2013-present.
- Vice-President, Croatian American Society, 2010-present.